According to Article 9 of the ITU Internship General Guidelines students of the Environmental Engineering Department of are required to complete an internship study for a minimum of 45 working days at relevant public and private institutions or organizations for enhancing their practical knowledge and skills. In order to be eligible to graduate, the compulsory internship study must be completed.
Aim of the Internship Study
The aim of the internship study is for students of Environmental Engineering Department is to gain practical, technical and administrative knowledge and experience that will contribute to their education.
Procedure for Starting an Internship Study
- The steps that students should follow for their internship studies are given in detail in the "ITU INTERNSHIP GENERAL GUIDELINES" document, which came into force at the meeting of the Istanbul Technical University Senate conducted on July 4, 2017 with number 655. The relevant document can be accessed at https://www.sis.itu.edu.tr/TR/mevzuat/staj-genel-esaslar.php. Additionally, the internship study procedure and frequently asked questions should be reviewed from the relevant link. https://ikm.itu.edu.tr/stajmerkez/.There are also internship study opportunities available on this website.
- Environmental Engineering Department students, must fill and submit two surveys regarding the internships at the end of the internship student (the first one should be filled out by the student and the second one should be filled out by the employer where the internship study is conducted). Surveys must be sent to the Head of Environmental Engineering Department Commission through email. Internship studies of students who do not submit the surveys are not accepted.
- Internship studies that are approved are submitted to the Student Information System by the Department Internship Commission. The internship study evaluation result should be followed by students through the Student Information System.
Possible Places of Internship Study
- All govermental departments that have units on Environmental Engineering applications (Ministry of Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Ministry of Labor and Social Security, Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications, Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Development, Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, Bank of Provinces, DSI, TEAŞ, DİE, TPAO, TCK, Municipalities, Universities, etc.)
- Private Sector Organizations (Engineering offices, Industrial Facilities, Treatment Facilities of Factories, Construction Sites)
- Laboratories that conduct research and analysis on Environmental Engineering
- Workshops operating in the manufacturing and repair of machinery and equipment used in Environmental Engineering
- Governmental or private construction sites about Environmental Engineering
- Companies working in environmental systems automation and control.
- ITU Environmental Engineering students are supervised at their internship study sites by an employee of that institution or organization, preferably with an Environmental Engineering title. Students who do internships in public and private institutions or organizations that do not employ Environmental Engineers can be supervised by a person who holds an engineering or fundamental sciences title.
- At least two of five different types of internship studies (construction, laboratory, office, management-planning, and management planning) should be carried out by the students.
- Internship studies are carried out during the holiday period between the spring and fall semesters. However, students attending summer school can also conduct internship study during the summer school, and fall and spring semesters, as long as they meet the conditions specified in the ITU Internship General Guidelines on the days they do not have classes or exams.
- ITU Environmental Engineering students can start their internship studies after completing 60 credits. Students who have completed 60 credits can only do laboratory or management-planning internship study types.
- Students who have completed the course program but have not fulfilled their internship study obligations cannot receive a graduation certificate.
If you have questions, you can contact the Environmental Engineering Internship Commission.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alpaslan EKDAL (Head of the Comittee)
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ekrem Karpuzcu
Res. Asst. Enise Pekgenç
Res. Asst. Muhammed Nimet Hamidi
Res. Asst. Elif Zeynep Deneri
Res. Asst. Sümeyye Yaşar
Internship Report Templates
Internship Evaluation Forms